Daybeds with trundle can bring a lot of usefulness and versatility to the home. They can be used as beds at night and resting places throughout the day. Plus, the addition of the extra mattress underneath gives you extra sleeping space for guests. But how do you choose them? Which type is right for you? This guide will cover all you need to know.
What Are Daybeds with Trundle?
You may wonder "What is a daybed with trundle used for?" So let's begin with a simple definition. This type of product is a bed that can be used as both a sofa and a bed, complete with a trundle section underneath to offer an additional sleeping space.
How Does a Daybed with Trundle Work?
- These types of beds usually have three-sided frames. The two sides at each end work just like a headboard and footboard in a usual bed. The frame at the back works just like a backrest on a sofa. So, during the day, people can sit on the mattress and rest back against the frame. Then, at night, you can sleep just like normal.
- Most models are made from wood or metal frames, without any kind of built-in springs.
- Then, there's the trundle. This is an extra sleeping space, also made of similar materials. It may be rolled or pulled out from underneath the main sleeping space. When not in use, it can be rolled back beneath to save floor space. You can position another mattress on top of it to provide an additional area on which someone might sleep.
- In terms of usage, these furniture items are renowned for their versatility. They work well in guest rooms, kids' rooms, and other rooms around the house. You can position them almost anywhere you might place a regular sofa.
Here are some of the top benefits of using this kind of bed in your own home:
1. Extra Seating
A good advantage of setting up this piece of furniture is that it serves as extra seating. You can position one in a living space, for example, and use it like a sofa. Or you can put it in a guest bedroom to have a cozy seated corner where people can rest, read, and relax.
2. Additional Sleeping
Of course, this product also provides an extra sleeping area as well. When you include a trundle into the equation, this product can add two new sleep spots for your home. This can be really useful for when guests come to visit.
A great thing about this sort of item is that it has multiple functions. You can use it in the ways that suit you. You might not actually need to use it as a bed very often, for example. In this case, you can decorate it with pillows and throws, just like a sofa, and only use it as a bed when guests come over. Or you might primarily use it as a bed but still have the sofa option too.
Another advantage of daybeds with pop-up trundles and similar models is how they don't take up too much space. The lower sleeping area can hide away when it's not in use. This way, you get the same sleeping space as a double bed, but only using the floor space of one single bed.
Step 1. Choosing Your Bed
The first step of getting one of these items into your own home is to choose which one you want. It's important to take a range of factors into account.
Sizing It Up
One of the first and most important aspects to consider when it comes to looking for these kinds of items is size. These products are mainly the same size as single beds. But it is possible to find some with different sizes of a frame that may take up more or less space in the home.
- The presence of the headboard, footboard, and backrest tends to make daybeds a little bigger than regular single beds. It is therefore recommended to measure the area where you plan to install the unit. This can give you a clear picture of how much space you have to fill.
- It's also important to not forget the trundle. The trundle will need to have enough space to be pulled out. So, if you want to use the bed in its fully extended form, you need plenty of space on the side. Make sure that you'll be placing the unit in an area where there is enough room to use it in its entirety.
- After measuring the room, take some notes of the measurements you make. This will allow you to compare your measurements with the sizes of the beds you find. This way, you can easily rule out those that are too big for your home. It can be a useful method for narrowing down the search.
The Right Material
Next, you need to think about the material of your chosen product. As stated earlier, these kinds of beds tend to be made from metal or wood. There are also some more elegant models that have upholstered sections, just like a regular sofa. Some even have leather parts, as well as padded, cushioned sections for comfort.
- Each material has its pros and cons. Metal frames, for example, can be quite cheap and are regarded as easy to assemble and highly durable. You can also find them in a lot of different powder-coated colors. Wooden frames, on the other hand, offer warmth and traditional beauty. Upholstered units are great for blending in with contemporary family homes.
- It's important to weigh up the advantages of different materials and decide which one is right for you. Think about the room you plan to install the unit in and find a material that blends well with the surroundings.
- Consider strength and durability too. If you're using the bed with children, there's a chance of spills and accidents affecting the frame. A metal bed will be easier to keep clean and more long-lasting.
A Design You Like
There are many different designs you can find as well. You may find girl daybeds with trundles, for example, designed for little ladies in your life. There are also elegant, upholstered options for large living spaces. There are even some outdoor-friendly models to consider for those who live in warm and sunny spaces.
- It's recommended to take your time and browse through the various designs. There are lots of varied choices out there. Some models have quite simple, basic frames. Others are more elaborate and detailed in their designs. Some are rustic, while others are modern.
- Think about the space where you want to set up the furniture too. If the room already has a contemporary theme and wooden items, it makes sense to get a wood-based product. If the space is more focused on sophisticated furnishings, a bed with a quality upholstered finish might be the best choice.
- Consider the look and style of the frame and boards. Decorative metal designs or unique upholstered fittings and features can really enhance the look of the bed.
- Some models have extra storage too. Daybeds with trundle and storage can be perfect for people who find that they're always running out of room to store things. This is great for kids' rooms when it comes to storing bedding, toys, and more.
Step 2. Setting Up Your Bed
Once you've selected a piece of furniture to add to your home, you'll need to think about setting it up. Here are some tips and tricks for installation:
- Some models come partially assembled, and others require total assembly. Think about how you'll get the bed through the doors and up the stairs of your home if you opt for a partly-made one. Sometimes, it's easier to buy one that needs to be put together entirely and move the pieces gradually into position.
- It's relatively easy to put good-quality units together. Instructions should be provided, and many models can be set up within a couple of hours. It helps to have a friend or family member around to help out, as you may need to lift different parts of the frame into place.
- You can also opt for a professional set-up, if you prefer. This can be a good option for elderly people or those who don't have much DIY experience. Some companies offer assembly services. A pro will be able to put the whole frame together for you and show you how the product works.
- If you do go the DIY route, make sure to pay close attention to the instructions. It's good to check that all the necessary screws and pieces are there before you start. Make sure to use every item and tighten all of the screws. If there are any weaknesses in the construction, the bed itself may be more likely to creak, bend, or break.
- In terms of mattresses, some models will ship with the mattress included, while others will not. It's wise to read product descriptions carefully to see exactly what you get in each package. Either way, getting a good mattress is very important for setting up your product and enjoying it. The top mattress needs to be quite thick and firm to be used as a sofa seat during the day.
Step 3. Using Your Bed
Once the bed is all set up, you're ready to start using it. Here are some additional tips and pieces of advice for making the most of your product.
- If you're going to use the daybed mainly as a sofa, consider using a fitted cover for a bit of extra padding and comfort when people take a seat. If you want to use it more as a bed, make sure that it has a set of sheets and a comforter on top.
- Keep the trundle away when not in use, as this will save space. You can leave the mattress on it with a cover, so it’s ready to be used when required. It also helps to store a box of blankets and bedding nearby. This way, the trundle can be made up quickly when guests arrive.
- If your chosen item comes with some storage space, make the most of it. If there are drawers or hidden compartments, for example, it's a good idea to store excess bedding or other items inside. This is really handy for those living in little homes or apartments.
- Consider using the trundle area as an extra storage space when it's not in use. You can put folded sheets and other items down there and hide them away with a valance or sheet. You may also purchase an air mattress that can be inflated and used on the trundle as and when required, saving even more space.
Step 4. Dressing Your Bed
Finally, let’s look at some tips for dressing and decorating your unit:
- How do you style a trundle bed? Try to find bedding that fits the theme and feel of the room. If it's a kids' room, colorful and fun bedding will work really well. If it's more of an adult living space, something more elegant and mature will be better-suited.
- Many people like to adjust the bedding and blankets over the course of the year, in time with the seasons. For winter, you can layer on thicker, fluffier throws and pillows to add warmth and comfort. In the summer, something lighter and airier will work well, with cool, neutral tones.
- Make use of throws and pillows to dress up your unit too. This can help to make it look much more sofa-like for daytime use. Cushions will also give people something to lean back into if the frame isn't upholstered.
- Think about the area around the bed and add useful or attractive items to enhance the space. It's quite common, for example, to place a warm rug by the side. This way, when the sleeper or guest steps out of bed, their feet will connect with something warm and soft. Lamps can also be useful around the head or foot, to help with reading or focusing.
Daybeds with trundle have a lot of uses and benefits, bringing elegance and versatility to any space. The best models are attractive, multifunctional, and comfortable to use. If you're in the market for one, make sure to follow this guide to help you find the perfect product and set it up right.