Are you considering getting bunk beds for your children? Look no further! We made a list of the top 3 twin bunk beds with different styles and price tags to suit your needs. The features and benefits of having one were also discussed to guide you in your decision of finding the best version for you.
Bunk Beds For Kids: Different Styles and Prices
What is it?
A bunk bed is a kind of bed in which one fits on top of the other. This allows two beds to occupy the floor space of a single one. They are common in ships and at home for kids and have been used for a long time. Moreover, they are typically supported by four poles or pillars, each found at a corner of the bed frame.
How does it work?
To get to the upper one, we use a ladder that is often fitted to the twin bunk bed. Sometimes, there is also a rail that surrounds the top pad. This prevents the child from falling down and injuring themselves. While the space-saving aspect of this style of sleeping arrangement is an obvious advantage, the most important element is how safe they are for your children. We will look at some different types and safety precautions when getting them for your children.
Are They Safe?
Bunk beds are tremendously safe if you follow some essential safety rules:
- Make it clear to your children that the twin over full bunk beds are a place to sleep, and at no point, should it turn into a play area.
- Climbing to the upper half the right way. Use the ladder provided to go up and not another one. Rule out the use of other pieces of furniture to climb to the top pad because it might slip and cause your child to fall down. Young children tend to be very active and spontaneous and often want to jump up or down the upper bunk. This should be avoided at all costs.
- Ensure that there is sufficient room between the upper mattress and the ceiling; it is recommended that there are at least 2 feet.
- Each mattress must be used by one child only, at any time. Toddlers and small kids are more fragile and not very conscious of the danger of falling from such a height.
- Children younger than six must not sleep on the top half. They do not realize the high risks and consequences of falling.
- Carefully follow the owner's manual restriction on weight limits for the bunks. Each one usually supports about 75 kg of weight, although the threshold varies from bed to bed.
- The guardrails must be used and locked at all times. This will prevent injuries from a fall from the top bunk.
The Minimum Age
These beds are normally suitable for children of 4 to 16 years old. Yet, only kids older than six should sleep on the top bunk. It is still recommended that you use guard rails though. Anything could happen while they sleep. A soft padded rug beside the bed is often used by parents to reduce impacts in case of a fall. Some are even equipped with a drawer containing a safety mattress for that specific purpose. In fact, these types are better at minimizing damage from falls compared to just a soft rug.
How To Make It Safer?
Other than using guardrails solely, you can place a soft rug on the bedside. This will minimize injuries in case of an accident. You can also consider a bunk bed with stairs instead of a ladder. This makes climbing safer and easier for the children. You should also ensure to get the right mattress size.
Do You Need A Special Mattress Type?
Usually, these beds require a mattress that is no more than 15 cm deep. This is for a safety function as deeper mattresses might prevent the guard rails from doing their job properly. The length and width of your pad will depend on the size of the frame. Do not worry; your shop will recommend the right size.
The Top 3 Bunk Beds On The Market
1. Byron Industrial
This is an industrial-style comes with a hand brushed copper accent and pipe design with an antique black finish. It comes with a step ladder and guard rails attached.
Here are some specifications about this bed:
- A spacious 37-inch upper half clearance
- Weighs 128.92 lbs
- Durable metal construction
- Mattress ready with slat kit included
- Length of 78.75 inches, a width of 44 inches, and a height of 68.12 inches
With this style, we can confidently say that the lightweight bed will not cause problems when it comes to moving it. Its metal construction will make it durable enough so that your kids can make the most out of it. The spacious upper pad will give comfort to the one using the top bunk. Moreover, this style is available for only $692.00.
2. Woodridge Transitional Twin
The rich walnut finishes on this version pairs well with soft earth tones and neutral paint schemes. The bed comes with a built-in staircase. Within that same staircase lies spacious drawers, making it ideal for a transitional-style child's bedroom. The trundle is not included in the price.
This version is quite aesthetic. Let's go through some specifications:
- It has plank safety guard rails.
- It has a built-in step ladder with four drawers (1 in each step)
- Made of solid wood and veneer
- Mattress ready with slat kit included
- A patented insert and lock joint structure
- A length of 98 inches, a width of 41.75 inches, and a height of 65 inches.
The bed weighs in at 235 lbs, but this is, of course, because of the wooden structure. It has even got a platform that comes out of the lower bunk with a small mattress as a safety feature in case of a fall. This beautiful version of a bunk bed sells for $1064.00, and you can even use Amazon Pay. The design and material used are durable, and you can expect it to last long if you take good care of it.
3. Beyer Cottage Style Oak Twin
With its simple, clean lines and oak finish, the Beyer cottage-style is an excellent pick both price-wise and function-wise. It has a full bed frame on the bottom and a twin bed frame on top, allowing for plenty of sleeping space. To ensure your child's safety, a solid wood angled ladder is provided, as well as complete guard rails on the top bunk.
Let us go through some specifications of this version:
- Solid Wood Angled ladder. This makes climbing easier.
- Made of Oak Wood
- Beautiful contemporary design
- Wooden Veneers
- Weighs only 155 lbs
- 80 ⅞ inches long, 61 ¾ inches wide, and 65 ⅛ inches tall
The bed is light and aesthetic. It comes with full guard rails for safety and only costs $790.00. However, do take into consideration that the top bunk is smaller than the lower bunk.
Benefits For Kids
Having bunk beds for children comes with added benefits, such as the cheaper price tag and space-saving properties.
This is one of the most substantial advantages. If your children are sharing a room, instead of spending a lot of money on two single ones, get just one bunk bed! They will save you money in the long run. With the money saved, you could get other furniture or toys that they might want or need in their bedroom. In other words, you're getting more from less.
Bunk beds allow you to have double sleeping cots while efficiently using the floor space of a single bed. Many come with storage compartments below the lower half as drawers. These can be used to store some toys or clothes. Other versions may even come with a desk. This would allow your child to perform some school work within that space.
They Provide Comfort For Sleepovers
Another advantage is that it can be the perfect bed for your child's room if they like having sleepovers. This style will provide extra sleep space so that your child does not have to sleep on the floor if a friend comes to spend the night. In a high-quality, comfortable bed, your child and their friend will be able to sleep soundly and safely.
From the above, we can see that a twin bunk bed can be very useful for children. They come in various forms and sizes, so you can easily find one that suits your budget range. Although they have so many benefits, an accident can happen if the child sleeping from the upper bunk falls down.
However, if you respect the safety precautions and properly maintain the bed, you are unlikely to face accidents, and this type will last longer. Have a look at the best twin full bunk beds available on the market at affordable prices!